Top Ten Tuesday

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish! Every week you create your top ten list with the weekly theme. This week's theme is a rewind or freebie.. so, since I'm new to blogging, I thought why not start at the beginning. I will be talking about my top ten childhood favorites!
  
  1. Baby Island: I did a book report on this in 2nd grade and I adored the book. It's about two girls that rescue some babies they had been babysitting on a ship when it sinks. The whole lot of them end up on an abandoned island where they learn to survive and care for a bunch of small tots! I wanted to babysit so badly at 8, so it's no wonder I loved this book.
  2. Little House Series: My mom signed me up for the club on the back of the book order for this series when I was in first grade. (I was an advanced reader). I wanted to live Laura Ingalls Wilder's life! In 5th grade I went crazy when I discovered there were books written about her mom as well. I can't wait to introduce these to my own children someday.
  3. Mandie Series: I stumbled upon these books in the school library in 5th grade. They were great mysteries about a young girl in the early 20th century named Mandie. I'm pretty sure I was the only student in school to ever check them out, but I really did eat these books up. Fun fact, the author wrote the first book when she was only 11 years old!
  4. A Wrinkle in Time: One of my all time favorite books! Just a great fantasy. Pretty sure this is required reading for most middle schoolers... and it should be! I want to say I heard they were making a movie soon, but don't quote me on that.
  5. The Giver: Another all time favorite book. I read this in 4th grade then went to see the play. At the time I was going to be a famous actress one day, so I was more excited about the play. I have reread this book so many times... it's my absolute favorite dystopian. I read the rest of the series too, but this was by far the best.
  6. The Devil's Arithmetic: I developed a weird obsession with the holocaust after reading Anne Frank in 4th grade. My mom suggested this one too me. It's probably one of the most powerful books I read in my life. I remember staying up all night finishing it, then waking my parents up at 3 in the morning sobbing about it. Wonderful heart-wrenching story.
  7. Standing in the Light: In 3rd grade we did a huge study on Native Americans. I loved it. So I started reading tons of books about them.. This was one of my favorites. I owned the book, and the little 30 minute scholastic movie. I was so bummed when I discovered it wasn't a true story after all.
  8. The Sleeping Lady: This is actually a retelling of an old Native American myth about how this mountain near Anchorage, Alaska got it's shape. (the shape of a sleeping woman). I lived in Alaska at the time and saw this mountain everyday on my way to school, so this story really felt special to me. Plus the pictures are gorgeous.
  9. Baby-Sitter's Club series: Remember earlier I mentioned how much I wanted to be a babysitter? That was thanks to this series. I read them all. I owned most of them. I wanted to make my own club. These books were the best things ever. A couple of years ago my best friend bought a box of these books for $10 at a garage sale to use in her classroom. I tried to buy them off of her, but she refused. I will own the entire series again someday... if just to have them.
  10. Harry Potter Series: Can this list be complete without Harry Potter? I am a potterhead, and proud. Seriously, I stole the first book from my brother when I was in 3rd grade and I was hooked. I'm still hooked 15 years later. I reread the series about once a year.. own all the movies ultimate editions on blu-ray, and was one of the lucky 100,000 previewers of pottermore a couple years ago. I'm a dork and I don't care. These books just draw you into a whole different world.
Writing this list had me going down memory lane. I had a hard time picking just 10. Now I can't wait until L is a little older and can actually understand what I'm reading to him.. I really hope he gets my passion for reading. Books really let me explore new worlds growing up and I want him to experience that as well.

What category did you write about for your top ten Tuesday? Let me know so I can check them out!

10 comments:

  1. I'm probably going to be (and already have been) berated or this but I've never read the Harry Potter series. I do hope to read it sometime in the future though, despite having watched the movies already. And I've recently come across A Wrinkle in time & thought the title sounded amazing but have no idea what it's about. So I guess that's another book I'd find myself reading soon too. So glad I dropped by & was reminded to pick up those mentioned books soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this walk fun memory lane! The Little House series was always one of my favorites!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't the Little House books just the best? You may want to read the adult book "Wilder Life" by Wendy McClure--the author spent about a year traveling around to all the Little House landmarks and tourist stops and then writing about it--it's a great book for all Little House fans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Harry Potter series. nice list!
    Here is My Top 10 Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I remember the Dear America diaries!! Those were incredible!!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Have a GREAT day!

    NEW Follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, The Babysitters Club books sure bring back memories. I used to read those books when I was around eight or ten years old. I loved those books and was always so excited when I got to check one I hadn't read out of the library. I even read The Babysitter's Little Sister books that followed...Karen? Kristy's... half-sister? Step-sister? I don't think I've seen those books on a list like this before so, nice. My top ten list - on series I've not yet finished - is here:
    http://pagesofstarlight.blogspot.com/2014/02/top-ten-series-i-have-yet-to-finish.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pick. I really loved The Giver, it's such a brilliant book. My childhood favourite is definitely the Harry Potter series, it is just the best. Nice list :) My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adored The Babysitter's Club series. They were so brilliant. Loving your list this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish so much that I had read more as a child. I missed out on so many books but I know from your list that my children have read most of what you listed.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier!

    Kristalyn @ The Sarcastic Palmtree

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS