Review: F*ck Love by Tarryn Fisher

Saturday, January 30, 2016

25828204F*ck Love
Tarryn Fisher
Published: December 31, 2015
My Rating: ★ (more like 2.5)

Summary: (Taken from Goodreads)

Helena Conway has fallen in love.
Unwillingly. Unwittingly.
But not unprovoked.
Kit Isley is everything she’s not—unstructured, untethered,
and not even a little bit careful.
It could all be so beautiful … if he wasn’t dating her best friend.
Helena must defy her heart, do the right thing, and think of others.
Until she doesn’t.

Links
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes and Noble

Cover Comments
I actually really like this cover. It's so harsh and kind of creepy. Not your normal romance cover at all. The cover kind of mesmerized me so much that I couldn't wait to read the book.

My Thoughts
The first chapter had me just so excited. I was confused, and my mind was all sorts of backwards and forwards... It was great. From there, I have to say the book was kind of downhill... It was a fast paced read and kept me entertained, but I just didn't really like it much. 

Let's talk about our main character Helena. Helena is a boring book smarts girl. She's fine with that. Until the first chapter of our book happens. This girl hs one small little dream that leads to a small little crush that she lets completely change her personality and everything about herself... I get new adult likes to have girls discover themselves, but Helena didn't discover herself. She just completely changed herself to be the kind of womann she though Kit wanted to be with... Honestly, Helena kind of creeps me out. She has stalkerish tendancies. I know uite a few of you bloggers are younger than I am, in the college years. Can I just say, girls, don't change yourself for a guy and don't stalk him. That's not the way to get a guy... despite what happens in this book. Oh and Kit... ugh he's so boring. When I read a romance, I want to be attracted to a guy... I didn't get what was special about him at all.

The plot also drove me nuts. It just kept going around and around in circles with nothing ever happening. I'd say the first 3/4 of the book are just Helena obsessing over best friends boyfriend and feeling equal parts guilty and slightly proud of herself, cause honestly, she's a crap friend no matter what she tells herself. The the very end was so so so confusing. I was lost. My friends that read it were lost. I assume Fisher is setting up for another book with another storyline, but it didn' feel like it fit here in this book. It was like oh yeah, let me throw this in even though it does nothing for the storyline whatsoever. 

Despite this pretty harsh review, I did give the book 3 stars which is more 2.5, but I didn't have a half star. Fisher is a very talented author. She's very entertaining to read. Even while I was getting annoyed at what was happening, I didn't want to put the book down. For that reason alone I gave it an extra star. No one likes a book that is easy to put down... and this one really honestly wasn't. 

Overall, I'm not sure about the ratings on Goodreads on this one. I did a readalong with quite a few friends (I think 20 or so of us in all). We all have different interests and styles, and only 2 or 3 of us really liked the book. Most people had the same thoughts I did. I don't like to say it, but I think the rating on this one might be skewed by the Tarryn Fisher fangirls. That's great that she has them... but I don't think this book really warrants the 4.26 rating it currently has. I've read mush better works by her in the past. I don't know.. did you like it? I'd love to hear from someone that read and loved the book, just because I don't get it... and I feel like maybe I missed something that made the book awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about not being able to put it down. I read the first three chapters as soon as I downloaded it to my kindle, even though I was reading something else.
    I started seeing that change in those few chapters and I didn't like it either, so I don't know if I'll read it soon.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS